Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: New (broken) pedal day!

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:57 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:48 pm
It's delicate nature is seemingly from the get go of the design..? It uses sort of odd parts (like the stock pot that is 27-31K). What made these sell was the unique tone, bigger in the low mids for sure.
I suspect it was intentional. Thanks for sharing your experience - it all adds to our body-of-knowledge.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:28 pm

I received another BOSS FZ-2 a while ago. It arrived in a very crazy condition.

For an unknown reason it was rehoused in a baby blue chassis of a BOSS CH-1. The Level potentiometer was replaced with a wrong type. One knob was missing, one was from another BOSS pedal. The original FZ-2 serial number was attached to the bottom with tape strips.

Luckily this Frankenstein-FZ-2 hasn't been modded. Apart from the wrong potentiometer everything else is original.

I replaced the potentiometer and I found two original black BOSS knobs with knurled shaft in my box with spare parts as well as original washers for the jacks. I removed the paint of the blue chassis with extra fine steel wool, which was a very tiresome work. But it came out very nice!

I'm quite proud of the result. The Mode knob is crackling a bit from time to time, but everything else works fantastic again!

Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:12 pm

Spectacular save pepe!

If you were so inclined, I've found there is some automotive touch-up paint that is a pretty good match for the Boss silver metallics.

It is possible to clean/lubricate those switches (the mode switch). Drill a carefully placed 0.5mm hole in the side of the switch and spray in some contact cleaner. It is both fiddly and risky, but it can be done. Alternatively, I've been able to buy those switches from Roland here in Canada - you may be able to buy one from Roland Europe?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm

I don't know if Roland in Europe is still as helpful as it was over ten years ago when I used to purchase replacement parts there. I think I (or the next owner) can live with the mode switch the way it is.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 pm

The original replacement switch by Alps would cost 25 EUR including shipping. Too much for my taste.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:54 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 pm
The original replacement switch by Alps would cost 25 EUR including shipping. Too much for my taste.
:shock:

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:52 pm

laurie wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:12 pm
Spectacular save pepe!
Here in Canada, to use a hcokey term, we say that's a "save from the tip of the pad"
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:04 pm

Haha! Yes, you could say that. I don't want to know what had been done to the FZ-2 if it had gone to another person. I think this was pretty much the best treatment that it could get.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:16 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 pm
I found another source in China at www.lcsc.com and I ordered such an original switch for 12.92 USD including shipping to Germany. I'm going to report back if that's a good source to purchase electronic parts. They offer a lot of the Alps potentiometers and switches and the prices seem to be very fair.

If it arrives and I swap the switch, the pedal's value will increase significantly.

laurie

Post by laurie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:08 am

Indeed. Thanks for the update!