Anybody know what amps Katana MKII models?

Boss/Roland gear such as Keys, Synth, Racks, Drum Machines, etc
Ricey

Anybody know what amps Katana MKII models?

Post by Ricey » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:48 pm

So, I know Boss does not claim that the Katana MKII amps model any specific classic amps, but they must be based on SOMETHING?

I am hearing a Roland Jazz Chorus on the clean setting and Vox AC15/30 on the Crunch.

The Brown sounds like EVH early period Marshall tones.

What about Lead? Is that supposed to be a modern California sound ala Mesa or Soldano?

For the most part, the alternate voicings sound like higher gain voicings of the base model, except for the alternate Clean voicing. That sounds brighter and gainier than the JC sound-more like a Fender to me-maybe Blackface Deluxe, Pro, or Super? Seems like too much gain fully clockwise for a Twin, but I could be wrong?

Please let me know what YOU all think?

Ricey

Re: Anybody know what amps Katana MKII models?

Post by Ricey » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:20 pm

Was just playing through the Crunch model variation #2. With gain maxed, it sounded similar to a cranked Tweed, like a Bassman or Tweed Deluxe, so maybe the base variation is a cleaner Tweed like a High Powered Tweed Twin or a Bassman with the volume set at noon or below?

bigtone23

Re: Anybody know what amps Katana MKII models?

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:08 am

My 2 cents...
The modes are custom voicings by BOSS, not models, per se.
Clean: JC/Fender BF/SF.
Crunch: Some sort of riff on a late Fender Tweed/early Marshall.
Brown: 70s-80s era Marshall type circuit, tweaked.
Lead: riffing on modern, highly modded Fender and Marshall circuits: Boogie/Engl/Soldano/Bogner/Friedman etc...

Nonetheless, I do love the Katana. It's a flexible amp for amp players.