The SD2 is my favorite yellow BOSS pedal.

bigtone23

The SD2 is my favorite yellow BOSS pedal.

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:35 pm

After finally getting my own SD2 and using it with my amps and guitars, I have come to the realization that it is my favorite BOSS overdrive. The green mode is pretty transparent and makes a great boost, with the gain up a touch, it gets my foundation crunch tonality on both Fender and Marshall circuits. The red mode is also a great boost with lower gain, but as you gain up, it gets more and more low end. Really cool! Even for the current inflated value of $100 that I paid for it, it's well worth every cent.

The SD1/OD1 is indispensable as a tightener/boost with an already dirty amp, for sure. However, the SD2 gets me there, too. The SD2 has the benefit that I can use it as a stand alone drive with my amps, something the SD1 can't do.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: The SD2 is my favorite yellow BOSS pedal.

Post by Pepe » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:09 pm

Yes, the SD-2 is a great little box with awesome sound.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 am

Yea SD-2 rules!!! uses LEDs as clipping diodes... in general I think swapping silicon diodes for LEDs is a basic mod that improves almost all classic dirt pedal designs.

You know about the yellow mode? if you plug an expression pedal in the remote jack you can actually get both channels at once

Goran

Post by Goran » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:01 pm

SD-2 is also my favorite Boss overdrive since many, many years. I have two of them.....

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:54 am

chromandre wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 am
Yea SD-2 rules!!! uses LEDs as clipping diodes... in general I think swapping silicon diodes for LEDs is a basic mod that improves almost all classic dirt pedal designs.

You know about the yellow mode? if you plug an expression pedal in the remote jack you can actually get both channels at once
I have yet to try yellow mode, sounds interesting. I need to get my expression pedal out from the bottom of my box of pedals!

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Sat May 28, 2022 8:09 pm

One (yellow) overdrive that doesn't get mentioned much is the OD-2 Turbo Over Drive. Is there anyone here that loves that pedal?

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat May 28, 2022 9:11 pm

I'm a huge fan of the OD-2R! My go-to overdrive for any keyboard instrument (organ, piano, synthesizer) and it sounds awesome with guitar as well.

In a German synth forum I recommended it to a renowned synthesizer professional years ago - and only a few weeks ago in a "which overdrive for synths?"-thread he mentioned that he is still thrilled by this pedal that does exactly what he hoped it would do after my OD-2R praise. :ugeek:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Mon May 30, 2022 12:55 pm

Cool, thanks Pepe. 👍

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue May 31, 2022 5:47 am

fernieite wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:09 pm
One (yellow) overdrive that doesn't get mentioned much is the OD-2 Turbo Over Drive. Is there anyone here that loves that pedal?
I have a OD2. Despite it's volume issues, the Turbo mode is outstanding as a stand alone drive tone. OD2/Turbo mode was my favorite yellow BOSS before the SD2.I did a R62 jumper mod to give a little volume boost. Subtle, but useful.
When a OD2R crosses my path for a good deal, it will certainly get swept up!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:46 am

So, things are getting back up and running... After not playing with this one band since November of '19, I have recently gone to a couple band practices with them. The guitarist in that band has been using his SD2 for the last 8 years (driving his Peaveys: an '83 Studio Pro 40 or '76 Classic 2x12"). FWIW, he got the SD2 based on my recommendation way back when. ;) I mentioned that I finally have my own SD2 and love it. He mentioned that he has received a couple compliments from people hearing our live recordings and commenting on the killer overdrive tone. :D