New Space Echoes: RE-2 and RE-202

SamXTherapy

Re: New Space Echoes: RE-2 and RE-202

Post by SamXTherapy » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:51 pm

Oh my giddy aunt! The 202 looks glorious. I've been debating whether or not I should get the RE-2 but I can't really justify it, since I have 3 delays on my board already and I'm going for a digital delay next.

Decisions, decisions...
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Feedbacker
SBZ: Copper

Post by Feedbacker » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:57 pm

I've ordered the RE-2. £209 isn't too bad, I think.
I don't think it will disappear from sale like other recent compact pedals (TB-2W Tone Bender) - especially since the 202 will divert sales - but, you never know!

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:23 pm

I was going to be critical like an old man about the cost, but that RE-2 demo video is pretty great.

-Scott

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 pm

They look nice... that's for sure. Will I buy one? This looks like a birthday present hint...

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:01 am

As jaw dropping as the RE202 looks, I'm still probably gonna get the RE2.

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:49 pm

laurie wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 pm
They look nice... that's for sure. Will I buy one? This looks like a birthday present hint...
They are definitely outside the realm of impulse buy pricing for me, which is saying a lot I think (either about me or the price, I'm processing that still)

I feel like maybe i'm just out of step with whats happened the last couple years with pedal pricing, i don't know, but they are really something. I recently got licensed for amateur radio, and you can buy a _lot_ of radio for the price of one Boss digital pedal these days. Hell, for the price of three RE-2's, you can buy a killer radio that does every mode and every band you'd ever need (ask me how I know, buy once, cry once, right :D )

I just consider that two RE-2's gets you a Blues Jr. that's on sale, that's another way of looking at it. It's a lot of money for four potentiometers and a software algorithm.

It still sounds wonderful and I want one. But I won't get one I don't think, the cost makes me squeamish

-Scott

dasbeef
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Platinum

Post by dasbeef » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:19 pm

Those pedals look frickin' sweet

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:20 pm

Hey, dasbeef, nice to see you again! How's the family doing?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:07 pm

There will be time to decide, to buy or not to buy the RE-2 (I will).

Ishibashi Music in Japan has April 23rd as the release date.

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:37 am

sclitheroe wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:49 pm
laurie wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 pm
They are definitely outside the realm of impulse buy pricing for me, which is saying a lot I think (either about me or the price, I'm processing that still)

I feel like maybe i'm just out of step with whats happened the last couple years with pedal pricing, i don't know, but they are really something. I recently got licensed for amateur radio, and you can buy a _lot_ of radio for the price of one Boss digital pedal these days. Hell, for the price of three RE-2's, you can buy a killer radio that does every mode and every band you'd ever need (ask me how I know, buy once, cry once, right :D )

I just consider that two RE-2's gets you a Blues Jr. that's on sale, that's another way of looking at it. It's a lot of money for four potentiometers and a software algorithm.

It still sounds wonderful and I want one. But I won't get one I don't think, the cost makes me squeamish

-Scott
If you look at anything in terms of raw materials, nothing is worth the cost of what you pay. A guitar - even a high end model - is just a few bits of wood and metal, with the odd bit of plastic, cars are just metal boxes with a few rubber rings and so on... but none of us really gripe about the cost of those. I real terms, the work that's gone into the RE-2 and its big brother are reflected in the cost, plus the desirability factor and, no doubt, a decent profit margin for all concerned, plus, of course, the cost of the parts.

It's the perception of value that often makes people reluctant to buy things at a fair price; although the concept of "fair" is a slippery one. For example, I've worked on and off in 3D model building for several years. I started out making texture sets, and believe me, a good texture set takes a lot of work. Thing is, people see it as just a pack of pictures, no matter how well made, and they are reluctant to pay a reasonable price for the hard work that goes into them. So, after a while I stopped making those and started building models instead. Sometimes the models are far easier and quicker to build, and, even with a fairly rudimentary texture, they command far higher prices than a texture pack on its own. Buyers see a complete model as having greater inherent value, as opposed to a texture set for an existing model.

Anyhow, I'm not a cheerleader for Roland's pricing structure; they charge what they think the market will stand, same as every other business.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum