OD-1 Quest!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

OD-1 Quest!

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:47 am

A fair few years ago I found myself in Hamamatsu. As was customary I scooped up as many older BOSS models as I could reasonably justify (EVERY HM-2 in sight!), paid a pilgrimage to the BOSS HQ and posed for a pic or two, and checked out the assortment of funky guitar shops in the region. And encountered my first close up of the OD-1. I strolled past the shelves and almost missed it. 

Sat along with the current model OD-3, one single, utterly as new, boxed, OD-1. I had to look twice. At that time I had never paid more than 12,000 yen tops for a BOSS product, and here it was at 19800 yen iirc. I tested it knowing full well that I probably wouldn't buy it, as it seemed a massive amount at the time. Lovely gritty cut, natural OD, I was rather smitten, but I had no cash sitting in my pocket. I handed it back and as I retreated outside I lamented its loss to my friend. OD-1 No.1 had faded out of view. (For reference it was a very late model 1985? revision E with 4558 chip, black screw).

Fast forward to now time, OD-1s are fetching up to 60,000 yen, and mostly over 30,000yen. (roughly comparable to $600-$300) :o

Two weeks ago - silver screw OD-1 goes for a mere 22,000 yen on a website I usually check just before 5pm everyday. On that day I hadn't bothered. No.2..alas! Smack on head for me! :roll:

Last night - 7:30pm, an Instagram post, a local store, 1 x mint/boxed silver screw with BOSS booklet, 39,800yen ($400). Good lord, it was beautiful, I procrastinated, I pondered, then I decided to sleep on it.  Breakfast came and of course it had vanished! No.3 - perhaps never again! :oops:

Bug firmly bitten I scoured about this morning. I decided on a sub 30,000 yen budget (tricky despite their popularity). I also decided to settle on a black screw, as although I would dearly have loved the mint SS, it would have probably just sat on the shelf (too perfect to stomp on?) and more importantly those SS models marginal extra case width means they don't want to fit (unless you get shaving!) a BCB-6.  I also wanted one in pretty good condition.

As luck would have it I found two, one of which at 30,000 was relatively clean, 1982, E revision. I offered 25,000 half thinking I wouldn't get it....to my surprise I did. FINALY (when it arrives) an OD-1 is (touch wood) on its way (at a budget I could squeeze out of a few sales and one I can use)
Phew!   :lol:

SO pending a test I'm hoping to be a happy man. (value vs practicality vs wallet!)

I do notice a few more now in around the 30 k mark. Of course this could get terribly addictive!   

Who else has gone down this OD-1 road? Thought's? Any preferences? Anyone performed a cap mod?

On the way I did pull up a few web pages, the most fascinating being in Japanese detailing the minute differences etc.
Question - Why is the circuit board of some of the latter issues "Taiwan" but the outer backplate is "Japan". Is that the 1988 last issue? :?:

Cheers!

(Final side note - does anyone have the reissue OD-1 (which has apparently the 14pin chip) and compared to an original?)
Last edited by fuzzbuzzfuzz on Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: OD-1 Quest!

Post by Pepe » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:35 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:47 am
(Final side note - does anyone have the reissue OD-1 (which has apparently the 14pin chip) and compared to an original?)
Laurie is currently offering an OD-1 14-pin tribute build. If you need spot-on information about the sonic differences, Laurie is the right man.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:39 am

Pepe wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:35 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:47 am
Laurie is currently offering an OD-1 14-pin tribute build. If you need spot-on information about the sonic differences, Laurie is the right man.
Thanks Pepe, nice info!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:37 am

A particularly nice clone-mod.

https://www.pettyjohnelectronics.com/product-page/odi

I had no idea the Menatone Red Snapper and Barber Gain CHanger were also OD-1 derived.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:40 am

An OD-1 of any sort is a great pedal - congrats!

I used to have an A revision OD-1 with skeleton switch.

I've always been skeptical about the "tone nuances" of various versions. Seemed like the the old audiophile bullcrap about being able to tell what speaker cables were being used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR12Ttuxobs&t=5s

So I decided to see. There will be obvious differences between 3404 and 4558 versions of the OD-1 ... the signal passes through a different number of opamps.

But. I built the SQO using the OD-1 rev A schematic using 100% modern components, including a modern manufacture 3403, and with no regard to the Boss PCB layout, and here is the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upFJytwqTCo
Img_0334b.jpg
Img_0334b.jpg (147.05 KiB) Viewed 3993 times

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:21 pm

That SQO demo sounded really close to your old OD-1.

I wish I hadn't sold my old 78 skeleton switch one as well! (Batch 7300)

I saw some of your other old videos @Laurie. Very cool. Was that John from Calgary Long & McQuade playing in a couple of them? The guy with the really long hair!