About the PS-2

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

About the PS-2

Post by Pepe » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:29 pm

This is my newest acquisition:

This one is from the first months of production and it had the high frequency noise as all the early units. Twelve years ago I had another PS-2 from a later production year and it sounded so much better.

So I did what the original service manual says. I swapped an electrolytic capacitor and added two mylar capacitors according to this:

I was lucky to have a few 4.7nF (0.0047µF) capacitors in a spare circuit board of a faulty KORG PME-40X modular effects system. They were perfect for this situation:

I only had a quite big 470µF electrolytic capacitor, so I used heat shrink tube and left the legs in almost original length. There is just enough space to bend the capacitor horizontally and place it next to the ribbon cable:

Now it sounds just as good as the later units. I can only recommend this easy modification and I don't think that the pedal lost its value this way. Just the opposite!

There are two trimpots inside. In the service manual are instructions how to properly calibrate these:

This does only affect mode 4 (Manual). If the adjustments are exactly done as described, you can shift the pitch 13 semi-notes each up and down. You only have to do this calibration
a) if you cannot dial in an octave pitch shift up or down or
b) if the value for same pitch (Tuner Out = C3) cannot be achieved with the "Fine/Manual" knob in center position (12:00h).
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Re: About the PS-2

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:50 am

That's intense info Pepe!

As a desert island only pedal the PS-2 is my choice, love the gritty washy delay (very long), you can add a wash loop sound on sound, octave up/down, faux verb. Absolute sleeper pedal really given the DD-3 long chip is it's famous brother in a way. A true soundscaper! :)

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:10 pm

nice thanks for the info, the mod doesnt look too hard, I might pick one up if it comes my way.

also didnt know it can sorta do heavy flanging (andy demos)
https://www.instagram.com/p/COo2mKuMRce/

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 pm

The modification is only needed if you have a model from the first eight or ten weeks of production. So the model I have is somewhat a rarity and collectors might cry, because I did this modification. But I'm not a collector and the noisy sound was awful.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:39 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 pm
The modification is only needed if you have a model from the first eight or ten weeks of production. So the model I have is somewhat a rarity and collectors might cry, because I did this modification. But I'm not a collector and the noisy sound was awful.
right lol, it was clearly a flaw, and the job you did looks like what they intended if it was officially serviced anyhow!