GT-6 Question

MikeyDude

GT-6 Question

Post by MikeyDude » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi guys - I'm new to the forum. I've been using a GT-6 for a while and I know how to program it fairly well. I just have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with.

I'm trying to set up Manual Mode and it seems that if I use an effect from FX-2 I cannot use another from that location. For example - if I set pedal 1 to Flange, and try to set pedal 2 to Univibe, Pedal 1 then becomes Univibe too... So the pedal assigns the FX group and not the individual effect in that group. Is that fact? Can you only use a single effect from an FX group when in Manual mode?

And can someone please tell me what unity volume is on these puppies? Is is 50%, 100% ... is there a simple way to make the output the same as if the you were plugged directly into the amp?

Thanks!

chromandre

Re: GT-6 Question

Post by chromandre » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:55 pm

MikeyDude wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:10 pm

I'm trying to set up Manual Mode and it seems that if I use an effect from FX-2 I cannot use another from that location. For example - if I set pedal 1 to Flange, and try to set pedal 2 to Univibe, Pedal 1 then becomes Univibe too... So the pedal assigns the FX group and not the individual effect in that group. Is that fact? Can you only use a single effect from an FX group when in Manual mode?
Yeah think of the FX-2 as a single pedal with a mode switch. You can only use 1 mode at a time and you cant use it as two instances
BUT! (and this is why I love GT pedals)
a cool trick you can do is go into assigns and use your control pedal "C" to target FX-2 effect type. min, flange, max univibe. toggle mode. Now in manual mode your 1 pedal is FX-2. and your C pedal determines whether thats flanger or univibe.

MikeyDude

Post by MikeyDude » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:11 pm

Thanks for the answer on the group thing. That's what I kinda figured, but this thing does so much more I hoped it might work, and I just wasn't holding my mouth right. lol

C being the control switch right? Thats a cool idea. I'll try and see if I can make that work for me. Thanks!

Any ideas on the volume settings? I wan't to use the OD patch to drive the input of a Marshall DSL100, but I don't want the GT itself to act as a boost.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm

MikeyDude wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:11 pm
Any ideas on the volume settings? I wan't to use the OD patch to drive the input of a Marshall DSL100, but I don't want the GT itself to act as a boost.
Yes this is a major topic, I think this is well worth investigating, in my experience with all GT pedals , this is what I would do
GLOBAL SETTINGS:
1) the line/headphones output setting is best (the others seem to just add various low mid range EQ humps).
2) input volume ... you may want this slightly lower than factory. I think they wanted to make sure it could do plenty of gain for metal players but most of the plain overdrive and distortion and amps will sound better with lower input volume setting while still having plenty of gain
3) master volume (patch) again slightly lower than factory .. I like to do this to avoid internal clipping

after all this unity volume is probably available around 3oclock of the front panel master volume knob but you can use a true bypass looper to verify.

That's all just my opinion though!!

MikeyDude

Post by MikeyDude » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:06 am

Yeah... I was afraid I was gonna have to go through changes to get it going. Do the meters mean anything at all? If I compare input to output does it compare the micro knob output thats actually going to the out, or is the meter just a bell/whistle that is useless? What I really need is to have the volume when it's hooked up but all effects are bypassed be the same as it is when not hooked up at all. I can't be the only one on this quest... lol.