New Boss Anniversary pedals

Old_Iron

Re: New Boss Anniversary pedals

Post by Old_Iron » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:49 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:56 pm
“Tell us your story Doc”

“Well, it all started in Denmark Street, London in about 1978…I had just received my first credit card…”
Became curious about the Denmark St. and went to google maps to do a virtual tourism, and... WOW, it's Disneyland for us! :o

I have a ton of "miles" accumulated in my credit card, I am thinking to do a trip to Japan (Boss HQ and antique shops) as soon as the covid-19 allow us to do it.

Maybe I will make a detour by Europe in the return trip, I have the Italian citizenship, London seems to be a good shop opportunity for old gears, I am a Mullard, LCR, GEC, etc. fanboy. And a pint of stout, of course. 😍

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:50 pm

laurie wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:34 pm
Old_Iron wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:21 pm
We, die hard collectors, are sillies. :P
When I got to 330 pedals in the collection with a database of all the variations i was chasing... I realized I had a problem :)

Back down to about 20 or 30 pedals now.
You are a wise man Laurie.

NeavesTheKnight

Post by NeavesTheKnight » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:38 am

I definitely don’t want to rain on the parade here but just
I bought a 40th sd-1 and was hoping we’d get lucky with them all being a through hole component versions like the ds-1 but since it’s smd after all I’ve decided I’m returning it. Certain pedals I don’t mind them being smd but then there are others I want to stay through hole. Just my humble opinion.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:24 am

NeavesTheWicked wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:38 am
Certain pedals I don’t mind them being smd but then there are others I want to stay through hole. Just my humble opinion.
I'm with you!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

NeavesTheKnight

Post by NeavesTheKnight » Thu May 04, 2023 1:42 pm

Here are super late pics, LOL of the one I bought and returned after seeing the inside. Love the exterior paint and it sounded ok but still bothered me, Lol
Attachments
IMG_1729.jpeg
IMG_1729.jpeg (227.88 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
IMG_1728.jpeg
IMG_1728.jpeg (221.74 KiB) Viewed 3164 times

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Wed May 17, 2023 2:08 am

I'm with you Old_Iron
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:58 pm

A few thoughts...
I believe for the past decade, Boss has been trying heavily to figure out what the market is demanding.

In some ways it reminds me of the early to mid 90s, when it seemed like pedal manufacturers had no idea what people wanted, so they just started trying a bunch of crazy pedal designs or marketing tactics while blindly throwing darts at the wall. The DOD Jason Lamb pedals and Boss XT-2, PW-2, etc. are symbols of this era.

I believe Waza and collaborations like the JB-2 and TB-2W was their desire to stay relevant with the shift towards boutique-ish pedals. I view the move to SMD was to maintain price points as best as possible without resorting to terribly built micro pedals like a lot of other brands that remove any/all hand-soldering. I believe anniversary pedals were meant to drive demand to re-buy, which is extremely common in the boutique-ish markets that do limited edition colorways and "new" versions (v1, v2, v3, etc.) that make like 1 or 2 minor changes. Brands like Walrus, JHS, and Earthquaker do that all the time.

I would agree that the last time I really felt they were trying to push things forward were during the COSM and early MDP days. At the same time, there's a market split between people going with things like Kempers or AxeFX and the ones who are sticking to singular pedals mostly want small tweaks to known circuits, e.g. True bypass Rats with diode clipping toggles, slightly modified Bluesbreakers, Big Muff and Tone Bender variants, Klon clones, etc.

Aside from Waza, I haven't really liked what Boss has been doing for the past decade, but I'm not really a fan of where pedals have gone in the past 5 years or so in general. Overall, I see a lot of what they have been doing lately as them trying to figure out what most people actually want and also figuring out how to be taken seriously by the pedal nerds that heavily fuel the pedal market.

Something I would like to see them do is have more pedals with the toggle switch for buffered vs. true bypass like the TB-2W. I think this would have a pretty large impact on the current perception of Boss pedals from the pedal nerds and give some nice flexibility for gigging musicians.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:35 pm

zentropa wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:58 pm
terribly built micro pedals
Have you ever tried some of the Hotone Skyline mini pedals, that are sadly out of production? I have a bunch of them and they are ultra-reliable, plus the sound is at least great, if not awesome.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:48 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:35 pm
Have you ever tried some of the Hotone Skyline mini pedals, that are sadly out of production? I have a bunch of them and they are ultra-reliable, plus the sound is at least great, if not awesome.
I have not but I am aware of them. I'm not anti-micro, but some are definitely built better than others. I can say I'm not a fan of the ones that use plastic shaft pots since those are begging to be stepped on with pedals that small. Most are still built better than the early Danelectro mini pedals :D