New Boss Pedal DD-8 Digital Delay

Post by The_Doc » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 am

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New Boss Pedal DD-8 Digital Delay

Post by Pepe » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:26 am

Still no added knobs for high or low damp. :|

But some of the new modes sound promising. And they brought back the Warp mode from the DD-6. Seems like the users of the DD-7 didn't like the necessity to use an external footswitch in combination with complicated adjustments to achieve the same thing. And this one rather sounds like a cheap gimmick on paper:

"GLT—Newly developed delay mode that creates glitchy machine-gun effects when the pedal switch is pressed. Adjust the Feedback and Time knobs for a wide variety of sounds."

Maybe the effect is similar to the Seppuku Kompakt Kassette (glitchy modulation on delay time).
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Underwhelming at best, but at least they keep going back to the compact pedal form so that's a win.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:57 pm

Yawn.

natthu
SBZ: Double Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by natthu » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:27 pm

They've basically just taken the extra digital processing available to them now and thrown a few more modes and a bit longer delay into a DD-7 to give it a slight update. That's not necessarily a bad thing, the DD-7 was amazing when it was first released, and remains a good choice for a solid work horse digital delay with a small footprint. The DD-8 looks to be continuing that function. I'll probably buy one, but in all practicality I doubt it will provide me with much more than the DD-7 does (maybe the extra modes won't be as gimmicky as I'm expecting - we'll have to see).

Admin
Site Admin
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Admin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Does the DD-8 have a dotted eighth note setting? If not, a lot of worship guitarists will buy older Boss delay models instead.

The GLT setting seems like the modification from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers guitarist's old Boss delay. I believe it's demonstrated in Josh Klinghoffer's rig rundown.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 pm

It's in the manual on page 10:
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... ng02_W.pdf

You can use various settings as before, but you have to choose the tap division beforehand.

What was new for me to see is that the DD-8 has a little "Carry Over" switch on the back. Neat!

Admin
Site Admin
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Admin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Great find Pepe! Hopefully they make that well known, rather than leaving it on page 10 of the manual. I bought my first Boss delay just because of the dotted eighth note setting, and so have all my friends, despite have other delay pedals that we prefer the sound of. It's a big selling point.

What does the carry over switch do?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:41 pm

It can make the sound of the delay vanish instantly if you switch the effect off instead of letting it trail off. Some people like that.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:27 am

Admin wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:09 pm
Does the DD-8 have a dotted eighth note setting? If not, a lot of worship guitarists will buy older Boss delay models instead.

The GLT setting seems like the modification from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers guitarist's old Boss delay. I believe it's demonstrated in Josh Klinghoffer's rig rundown.
This particular trick is quite popular with numerous guitarists (of perhaps more mordern/adventurous genres) (often popping up on "Rig Rundowns"), and I would assume that's why BOSS have incorporated it. Chap from The Kills and the chap from Bloc Party among others, usually adding a DD-3 solely for that purpose. I'd do the same. So its a neat idea to pop it on the DD-8, one delay/space saved (to an extent).