Boss SY-1 Synthesizer

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Boss SY-1 Synthesizer

Post by The_Doc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm

It’s here and it doesn’t disappoint.

Tracking - stable and smooth across the whole fretboard (for both guitar and bass). Chords can get messy but that’s down to the sound used rather than the tracking I think because some are also very clear and precise.

No discernible background noise.

Huge range of sounds from 11 groups, each with 11 variations ie. 121 separate sound sources before you move any of the controls. They are pretty impressive too and, generally, very usable. The controls change a variety of things, depending on what sound source you are using - rate, tone colour, depth and pitch on some. Natural guitar and synth sounds are easily blended.

Take a look at the sounds on offer from the Boss website and you see what’s there. I particularly enjoy the sequences - very inspiring.

The only downside is the inability to save presets. I can see myself taking lots of phots of settings :lol: I nailed the intro to the Who’s ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ in the shop but can I remember now - no ! I’ll remember to grab a pic next time :roll:

All in all it’s a step beyond anything Boss have done in the compact pedal synths before. Great fun, encourages creativity and I am enjoying every second with it.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Boss SY-1 Synthesizer

Post by Pepe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Sounds ace! I have to get my hands on one soon.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 pm

What I'd be really interested to know is... Is there a way to get full-range/high fidelity synth output, or is the synth output tailored for playing through a guitar amp?

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm

laurie wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 pm
What I'd be really interested to know is... Is there a way to get full-range/high fidelity synth output, or is the synth output tailored for playing through a guitar amp?
Not sure on that one yet Laurie. I only played it through a Fender Super Sonic and a Roland JC-40 today. I’m going to try it with Cubase this weekend and I’ll let you know what it sounds like through a couple of Genelec monitors.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:33 am

thanks for reporting! Would you say there are any basic settings that cover OC-3 sounds?

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:27 am

The_Doc wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm
laurie wrote:
Not sure on that one yet Laurie. I only played it through a Fender Super Sonic and a Roland JC-40 today. I’m going to try it with Cubase this weekend and I’ll let you know what it sounds like through a couple of Genelec monitors.
On balance, I think it’s tailored for playing through a guitar amp Laurie. It’s missing something when recorded into Cubase without any extra processing. Inserting a quality stereo delay or reverb, as expected, does take it up a notch.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:35 am

chromandre wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:33 am
thanks for reporting! Would you say there are any basic settings that cover OC-3 sounds?
Just done a comparison chromandre using a guitar.

Some of the OC-3 sounds are definitely there. Close approximations of the OC-3 ‘Drive’ sounds are there and the one octave down but I was struggling to get a good two octave down sound. It does take a lot of work with the parameters and also selecting the right preset fx group. As you would expect the ‘Bass’ group is a good place to start. The tracking though is way better.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:35 am
chromandre wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:33 am
Just done a comparison chromandre using a guitar.

Some of the OC-3 sounds are definitely there. Close approximations of the OC-3 ‘Drive’ sounds are there and the one octave down but I was struggling to get a good two octave down sound. It does take a lot of work with the parameters and also selecting the right preset fx group. As you would expect the ‘Bass’ group is a good place to start. The tracking though is way better.
thanks! yeah I figured this might be the case I am really curious about trying out how the poly oscillator works in practice

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:25 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:27 am
The_Doc wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm
laurie wrote:
On balance, I think it’s tailored for playing through a guitar amp Laurie. It’s missing something when recorded into Cubase without any extra processing. Inserting a quality stereo delay or reverb, as expected, does take it up a notch.
Excellent! Thanks for testing it out.

Goran

Post by Goran » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Very nice reading about this one, I surely must have one!