New Pedal - TR-2

SamXTherapy

New Pedal - TR-2

Post by SamXTherapy » Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 am

My new pedal arrived yesterday, courtesy of the Boss Pedal Perks Promotion. Weee!

Any road up, I decided to take a look inside and to my surprise, it ain't surface mount tech; it's good old regular circuitry inside. This makes me wonder if it's due to maybe the pedal not being as popular as others, and so there are more of 'em around in the old style, or a deliberate choice by Boss.

Anyone have ideas about this?

As for the pedal itself, it's a beauty. No surprises as to the sound and functions, I guess, but it does the job very well indeed. Going on my board for keeps.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

zombiwoof
SBZ: Silver

Re: New Pedal - TR-2

Post by zombiwoof » Wed May 01, 2019 2:04 pm

It seems they have been converting the catalog to surface mount tech one or two pedals at a time, starting with the best selling pedals. I think it will just take time for them all to be SMD.
Al

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Wed May 01, 2019 4:50 pm

I thought as much. I guess there's quite a disparity between the most and least popular pedals.

The moral being... if you want to buy old style before they disappear, go for the ones that don't sell in huge numbers. Other than buying used, that is.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed May 01, 2019 5:23 pm

I think it's dumb. Through-hole circuits are so much better to repair. Most of those pedals will be thrown away when they show a flaw. In my opinion it's not ecological at all.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Goran

Post by Goran » Tue May 07, 2019 6:15 am

Pepe wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:23 pm
I think it's dumb. Through-hole circuits are so much better to repair. Most of those pedals will be thrown away when they show a flaw. In my opinion it's not ecological at all.
Very true!
And SMD´s don´t look as good :(

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 pm

I agree but from a manufacturing POV, it makes sense because they can be made faster and cheaper. A shame, but that's the economies of scale for you. Boss are a mass market pedal manufacturer and so have to keep their costs within a certain range. Would the average (whatever that is) guitarist want to pay a premium for through hole Boss pedals? I mean, enough for Boss to justify sticking to those methods? Everyone wants stuff at the lowest cost. The real joke is, in later years, everyone is prepared to pay top price for the old stuff.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 pm

SamXTherapy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 pm
I agree but from a manufacturing POV, it makes sense because they can be made faster and cheaper. A shame, but that's the economies of scale for you. Boss are a mass market pedal manufacturer and so have to keep their costs within a certain range. Would the average (whatever that is) guitarist want to pay a premium for through hole Boss pedals? I mean, enough for Boss to justify sticking to those methods? Everyone wants stuff at the lowest cost. The real joke is, in later years, everyone is prepared to pay top price for the old stuff.
So true.