OC-2 Repair help

sirlemonhead

Re: OC-2 Repair help

Post by sirlemonhead » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Ok so I re-checked Q2 again, making absolutely sure I had every pin lined up correctly... aaand..

Vast improvement :D With the pedal off, I get my expected clean signal.

With the pedal on, things seem good at first..

Here's how it is:
All knobs on 0 - no sound comes out. As expected.
Raise Octave 1 (the rightmost knob) to max - I get an octave sound with no original clean sound. As expected. It sounds an octave lower.
Raise Octave 2 to max - I hear my clean tone coming through?? The direct level knob is still on 0!

If I have Oct 2 on full, direct level on 0 and Oct 1 now on 0, I only hear my clean tone. I can't hear the two octaves lower coming through at all.

If I lower Oct 1 and 2 to 0, but raise direct level to max, I hear the two octaves lower..

Someone swapped my knobs around?! argh! :D

Time to open this up again...

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:41 am

You only swapped the potentiometers? That can happen. I think I once had the same "problem" after cleaning an analogue delay. :)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Nope the previous owner must have done it :) I found a picture online of the insides of the pedal and confirmed they'd put one of the pot boards (that two of the pots reside on) in backwards.

Was there any reason other than a repair that they might have changed IC1 from an IR9022 to the RC4588P? Would it be worthwhile changing it back or to something else or does it not really matter?

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 pm

sirlemonhead wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:01 pm
Was there any reason other than a repair that they might have changed IC1 from an IR9022 to the RC4588P? Would it be worthwhile changing it back or to something else or does it not really matter?
They might have been trying to improve the tracking. I'd leave it and not worry too much.

sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:02 pm

OK! I'm actually surprised how well it tracks as it is. I didn't think you'd be able to do any string bends with it but it seems to handle them OK in quite a few cases. It's a very fun pedal, especially with distortion.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help fixing this! :)

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 pm

No worries. Always good when an old pedal is saved from the scrap-heap.