Queston? Which BOSS Compact can do a BASS output well?

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Queston? Which BOSS Compact can do a BASS output well?

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:00 am

As per the title.

I currently split my signal (after compression) into an OC-3 which heads to a bass amp. However, it is a rather synthetic sound (heavily reliant on having a decent bass amp with EQ etc to obtain a decent faux bass sound) and also - at times - it warbles appalling even in Polyphonic mode. :cry:

That said, mostly it is quite reasonable. Another gripe is the sustain is rather short, I'm actually pondering another mini compressor AFTER it to smooth out the volume discrepancies between my guitars E, A and D strings and to increase the sustain.

Before I do, I have heard the PS-5 is BETTER? :?:

How about the PS-6?

..and even the MO pedal...

Anyone have experience with these or others?

Thanks!

FBF

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Queston? Which BOSS Compact can do a BASS output well?

Post by Dirk » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 pm

FWIW, the OC-3 tracks far better in poly mode than the PS-6.

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:08 am

I can try PS-6 and get back to you.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:26 am

I would believe if someone reported the MO-2 works better than the OC-3 but I highly doubt the PS pedals are better than the OC-3 for octaving. Theres a hierarchy to it in my mind:
PS pedals: does intervals attack times are slow when shifting downwards, intonation quality increases throughout the series.
OC pedals: only goes down and but the attack is much tighter than attempting to down octave on the PS pedals
MO-2: attack is still not as tight as using a 12 string but still performs best case scenario octaving than all of the above

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:27 am

The most instant and most accurate BOSS effect processor is the SY-300. It's unbelievably good in analysing the input signal and it takes the most complex jazz chords or cacophonic sounds and converts them into equivalent synth sounds in no time at all. Yes, it is quite big and really expensive, but it's also pure magic. I'm sure it can create quite natural sounding bass tones.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

:) Thank you for the replies all, some very useful information :)

I've just this moment implemented a "financially optional" solution of sorts, i.e use some pedals I already have :lol:

So I've now added a TB splitter than sends the signal (post-compression) to a GE-7 then into the OC-3. This allows me to shelve off all the higher frequencies and allow the OC-3 to read better and focus on the bass end input.

I'll report back after a live practice at decent volume, but so far at bedroom volumes its seemingly much better. Handling a G bar chord (full) or even an open G doesn't induce wobble anymore even on the back pickup of my bright telecaster. So provisional thumbs up.

(I'd still be interested in hearing about the (PS-6 and MO-2 thought)

Now to velcro the bottom of my MIJ GE-7 :D

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 pm

I wish I had kept my MO-2, I could have tested them side by side.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."