DF-2 versus FB-2

fuzzbuzzfuzz

DF-2 versus FB-2

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 am

So I had always been curious about the original DF-2 Distortion and Feedbacker and had the good fortune to stumble across one at a low price/fair condition over the New Year period. It certainly has its flaws (I'd like to be able to use the feedback independent of the distortion for example) but overall I dig it, very useful as a creative sound effect. I would imagine these days the function of one sustained note to play over whilst holding the pedal down has been done more practically in pedal form (EHX Superego etc) but I enjoy it.

In a similar vein, I've noted the prices of the discontinued FB-2 climb rapidly and it so happens there's one locally at a more realistic price so I gave it a whirl. Very surprised to find it to be so different from the DF. The FB is exactly as it states, very natural feedback and a useful sculptable focused boost. A very practical "tool" for two specific functions. You can't, however, change the frequency of the feedback (I don't think).

On the whole, the DF-2 is more a creative spark for me songwriting wise and the FB-2 a pedalboard tool if one needs. I didn't pick up the latter but might in the future.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pair?

(Incidentally, there's a very nice video of Boz Boorer (Morrissey's guitarist) demonstrating the quirkier aspects of the DF-2, that inspired me to keep my eyes open for one)

Here’s mine with some fellow classics for a first test :)
Attachments
83DA36E6-DB91-4A16-A592-3C407BE6DC52.jpeg
83DA36E6-DB91-4A16-A592-3C407BE6DC52.jpeg (74.47 KiB) Viewed 7989 times

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: DF-2 versus FB-2

Post by Pepe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 am

I didn't like the effect of the DF-2 with the built-in distortion. I know it should be the same distortion sound as that of the early MIJ DS-1, but I simply don't like the DS-1, no matter which incarnation. The best result I got with the DF-2s I had was to make the DF-2 sound almost clean and run it into another overdrive or distortion pedal. It is a funny tool!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Yes, I tend to concur, I’m not a fan of scoopy/brittle distortion clipping too. If there was a way to harness half the effect only or smooth the distortion? To be fair I haven’t played it live out in the wild, that which sounds harsh isolated might actually do OKin the mix....might 😂🤔👍

Kulten
SBZ: Copper

Post by Kulten » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm

I love my FB-2 : very good EQ and Pre-Amp, Booster, changes my SYB-3's Wave Shape in a great Fuzz, and great Feedback effect. The DF-2 I tried ... well, I was disappointed.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:53 pm

most of the GT pedals have both, I'll take the natural booster style feedback if given the choice!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 pm

I had a DF2 when they first came out around 1984 and used it all the time and liked it as it was a teenager's distortion tone! haha.
I sold it but found a beat up Distortion/Feedbacker at a shop locally. I would have grabbed the Feedbacker/Distortion at the same price, but I lucked out by getting the original incarnation.
I don't really use the pedal as my overdrive/distortion tastes and needs have changed, but I do like the pedal as it has a funky, fun aspect to it. I have a stock MIJ DS. Perhaps this DF-2 would be a good candidate to mod for more mids and smoother highs..?