Does anyone have the SD-1 and DS1 mods

bob barcus

Does anyone have the SD-1 and DS1 mods

Post by bob barcus » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Does anyone have some of the mods to put in here?

cctsim

Re: Does anyone have the SD-1 and DS1 mods

Post by cctsim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 pm

(This is from the old Keely website)

Boss SD-1 5-Star Ge Keeley Mod
Keeley Custom Shop designed this mod to enhance the tone and functionality of the SD-1.

Freely copy and distribute. We have the right to change our modifications at any time without notification. It is fun to watch what big name people use the mods.

Board Number, New part, Old part, Reason, Where to get the part
C10 --> Metal Stack Film 1uF, remove electrolytic, increased fidelity, digikey
C7--> Metal Stack Film 1uF, remove electrolytic, increased fidelity, digikey
R6 --> 2.4k ohm metal film, 4.7k, increased distortion, digikey
C3--> 0.1uf metal stack film, 0.047uf, fidelity and bass response, digikey
C2--> 0.1uf metal stack film, 0.018 fidelity and bass response, digikey
R2--> 620k ohm metal film, 470k ohm, increased input impedance, better bypass, digikey
Add 47pF cap across diodes in clipping section to smooth out distortion, just like TS9, radio shack

On some older units, short out D3 and the 470 ohm resistor in the power supply section to increase the voltage to the circuit. This increase the headroom and gain. Newer units have it shorted already.

Here is the tricky part of our mod, take a germanium (Ge) transistor and use the Base-Emitter junction (legs) of the device and use it in place of D6. If you use a PNP transistor, the Base will be the negative or cathode side, the Emitter will be the anode. Here is a diode drawing Cathode---|<----Anode. This increases the amount of distortion produced by the pedal, it also sound really nice. Try this! Don't leave it out! It's fun. Get your Ge transistors from Steve Daniels http://www.smallbearelec.com/

If you want to drill out the LED and install a 5mm big job, change R30 to a 1.2k-3.3k ohm depending on brightness and battery drain you want, replacing the stock 3.9k ohm.

172231.jpg
172231.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Off topic: great to see you in the new forum, cctsim! I hope you and your family are doing great! :D
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

cctsim

Post by cctsim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi Pepe, many thanks for the welcome. Best wishes to you and your family too.

Ptak
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Ptak » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:20 am

Pepe wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm
Off topic: great to see you in the new forum, cctsim! I hope you and your family are doing great! :D
I agree, cctsim always provides great tech posts like this! My HM-2 has an extra knob because of him. :lol: Welcome to the new board, cctsim!

zombiwoof

Post by zombiwoof » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:12 pm

On the subject of modding Boss pedals, does anyone know if Boss has changed the SD-1 to SMD components on the current models?. They changed the DS-1 and BD-2 to SMD a couple of years ago, and wonder if they are going to change more of the vintage OD/distortion pedals to this contruction. It will make modding harder for people who don't know how to work with SMD circuits.
Al

Goran

Post by Goran » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:52 am

I did a so called circuit bending on a DS-1, bought cheap, and it sounds nothing like a stock DS-1, really wild.
Don´t ask me what I´ve done, as I changed and changed and changed component values, even removed components and soldered connections between different "parts".
This was really fun to do.

I also was given a dysfunctional PH-3 from a friend, and I couldn´t repair it, to build a fuzz in it, with true bypass and a hidden foot-switch. The foot-switch was really hard to get right.
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg (105.92 KiB) Viewed 8756 times
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 8756 times

Gasgano

Post by Gasgano » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:55 pm

The only thing you didn't fix on that is the rubber grommet, really??!? :lol:

Nice build though.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."