Boss RC-30 heart of device central to a £500,000 fraud scheme

chromandre

Boss RC-30 heart of device central to a £500,000 fraud scheme

Post by chromandre » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:10 am

Just thought I'd share this strange news item, it says he was caught before any money was actually taken.
© Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited
A fraudster built this bizarre contraption to help him gain access to victims' bank accounts. Police were shocked to discover the machine actually worked. It altered Muldowney–Colston’s voice to match the age and gender of a genuine bank customer. It also had the capability of playing pre-recorded bank messages
link to article

Admin
Site Admin
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: Boss RC-30 heart of device central to a £500,000 fraud scheme

Post by Admin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 pm

This may sound crazy, but I'm glad to see people still using their creativity to come up with solutions using real devices rather than relying on some phone app or computer software. I do NOT condone what he did. I just simply think that people have become too dependent on software rather than finding new and unique ways to approach problem solving (or in his cause problem causing).

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Admin wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 pm
This may sound crazy, but I'm glad to see people still using their creativity to come up with solutions using real devices rather than relying on some phone app or computer software. I do NOT condone what he did. I just simply think that people have become too dependent on software rather than finding new and unique ways to approach problem solving (or in his cause problem causing).
RC-30 is useless without software...

Now if he'd used a RE-201, that would totally be praise-worthy :D

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 pm

The Saint Joseph novena card tucked up in the top left was a pretty classy touch too!

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:49 am

chromandre wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:10 am
Just thought I'd share this strange news item, it says he was caught before any money was actually taken.
© Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited
A fraudster built this bizarre contraption to help him gain access to victims' bank accounts. Police were shocked to discover the machine actually worked. It altered Muldowney–Colston’s voice to match the age and gender of a genuine bank customer. It also had the capability of playing pre-recorded bank messages
link to article
sclitheroe wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:13 pm
Admin wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 pm
RC-30 is useless without software...

Now if he'd used a RE-201, that would totally be praise-worthy :D
Exactly! The hardware is almost irrelevant in this case. The software is what makes the box work.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Franzoni

Post by Franzoni » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:48 pm

sclitheroe wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 pm
The Saint Joseph novena card tucked up in the top left was a pretty classy touch too!
He should of went with St Jude and he might of got away with it.... :D