Boss DD-2 DD-3 not working scored

jjone
SBZ: Copper

Boss DD-2 DD-3 not working scored

Post by jjone » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Last week I was quite lucky because I picked a '84 Boss DD-2 and a '90 DD-3 (long chip) for about € 30 because they were sold as not working.
I took the DD2 apart, cleaned and reassembled it. Suddently it started working very well!!
When I opened I noticed it was previously "visited" by someone maybe more than once: the battery snap was changed and the tin foil was removed. Now I can heard some little noise even when the pedal is off, can that be the reason for the noise?
Now the DD3. It lights up, the clean sound is ok but when I turn it on I can listen one or two repeats at very low volume (I have to raise up the volume amp) adjusting the potentiometers (level and feedback) near to maximum. I took apart and reassembled, as DD2, but this time with no luck.
The led shine as the DD2.
I tested both pedals with a Boss 9V PSA-230 and a 9V fresh battery.
Any ideas? Maybe some bad electrolytic cap?
Thanks a lot

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Re: Boss DD-2 DD-3 not working scored

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17

Have a look at this thread of comprehensive repair notes. You may find some answers there.

A great many DD-2/DD-3s of that era are failing due to components (caps being a good example to change), I should know I have two sitting on my bench that are effectively dead!

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 am

jjone wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm
Now the DD3. It lights up, the clean sound is ok but when I turn it on I can listen one or two repeats at very low volume (I have to raise up the volume amp) adjusting the potentiometers (level and feedback) near to maximum.
This sounds like maybe Q9 ...

jjone
SBZ: Copper

Post by jjone » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:14 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 pm
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17

Have a look at this thread of comprehensive repair notes. You may find some answers there.
I had already read that thread but I haven't found a problem like mine.
laurie wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 am
This sounds like maybe Q9 ...
Thanks a lot, I'll change it and meanwhile some electrolytic caps.
I'll let you know!