Using ES-8 to change rotor speed on MD-500

Worksong

Using ES-8 to change rotor speed on MD-500

Post by Worksong » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:32 pm

Hello all, I’m a newbie to this forum so please go easy on me! 🙂
I recently got an ES-8 and love it. However, I can’t figure out to assign a button on the ES-8 to change the rotor speed on my MD-500’s rotary speaker setting. The instructions in both manuals don’t really address how to do this, and everything I’ve tried hasn’t worked so far. Does anyone know how to set this up? Thanks!

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: Using ES-8 to change rotor speed on MD-500

Post by fernieite » Wed May 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Sorry man, no idea.

Hopefully, someone will pop by with a proper answer. Welcome to the forum though!

Worksong

Post by Worksong » Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 pm

fernieite wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:41 pm
Sorry man, no idea.

Hopefully, someone will pop by with a proper answer. Welcome to the forum though!
Thanks Fernieite, good to be here! I appreciate the reply.

As it happens, just today I got a reply from Roland support with a couple of methods. Gonna try them this evening, and if one or both of them work, I’ll post the information here for others to use.

Worksong

Post by Worksong » Fri May 07, 2021 6:31 am

As it happens, just today I got a reply from Roland support with a couple of methods. Gonna try them this evening, and if one or both of them work, I’ll post the information here for others to use.
[/quote]

Here’s the answer from Roland:

“Thanks for reaching out and contacting Roland BOSS USA Operational Product Support about the ES-8 and MD-500.
So first off, for the MD-500 ROTARY control, it's designed like the old Leslie speaker in the sense there's only a SLOW and FAST SPEED with associated rise and fall parameter.
So you can program and use an ASSIGNMENT in the MD-500 for the TAP CTL, CTL1 or CTL2 to control the ROTARY SLOW/FAST speed change.
You can then use either a cable connection from the ES-8 CTL 1/2 output jack via 1/4" TS stereo cable to control the CTL 1/2 jack foot switching on the MD-500 or you can use a MIDI CC# from the ES-8 via 5 pin MIDI CABLE output to MD-500 MIDI INPUT, to control the MD-500 CTL1 CC: CC#80 set to control rotary speed via ASSIGNMENT.

This is a two part setup part MD-500 and other part on the ES-8.

MD-500 SETTINGS ASSIGNMENT FOR CTL1:
On the MD-500 choose a PATCH you have the ROTARY MODE set up and you want to control the ROTARY SPEED.
Press EDIT, use up/down arrows to locate CONTROL and press EDIT, make sure the CTL1 and 2 PREF/PREFERENCE: is set to PATCH and not SYSTEM/GLOBAL.
This way the CTL1 ASSIGNMENT will only work on this specific PATCH. Set the CTL 1 and 2 FUNCTION: OFF, press EXIT, arrow down to ASSIGN and press EDIT.
Set ASSGN1 SW: ON, this will open the ASSIGNMENT 1 parameter options menu.
Set ASSGN1 SW: ON
SRC: CTL1 PDL
MODE: TOGGLE
TRG/TARGET: ROTARY SPEED
MIN: SLOW
MAX: FAST
WRITE/SAVE these settings to this specific PATCH by pressing the WRITE button [EXIT+EDIT} and EDIT once more to WRITE/SAVE the customized user settings.

You can now connect the ES-8 CTL 1/2 OUTPUT to the MD-500 CTL 1/2 INPUT via 1/4" TRS STEREO CABLE.
For example: https://www.boss.info/global/products/bcc-3-tra/

ES-8 PATCH SETTINGS FOR MUTE FUNCTION TO CONTROL CTL 1 OUTPUT:
On the ES-8, you can commandeer and use the MUTE footswitch for example to control the CTL1 jack ON/OFF of the ES-8.
Choose an ES-8 patch you want to correlate with the MD-500 ROTARY MODE patch,
Press EDIT, navigate to the CTL/EXP menu and press ENTER, navigate left/right to MUTE and press ENTER.
Change the default MUTE functionality from MUTE to CTL1:
Set: MIN: OFF, MAX: ON, MOD/MODE: TGL/TOGGLE.
WRITE/SAVE these settings to this specific PATCH by pressing the WRITE button three times to WRITE/SAVE the customized user settings.

Now should be able to use the MUTE footswitch to control the ROTARY SPEED for the PATCH, the MD-500 display will show the change from SLOW/FAST.

ES-8 MIDI CONTROL FOR MUTE ASSIGNMENT TO SEND MIDI CC# FOR MD-500 CTL1 FUNCTION FOR ROTARY SPEED:
Alternately, if you'd like to control the same MD-500 CTL1 PEDAL FUNCTION AND ASSIGNMENT you can use the default MIDI CTL1 CC: #80 to control the CTL1 ASSIGNMENT functionality.
(See MD-500, EDIT > MIDI > CTL1 CC: CC#80 default).
Use the ES-8 to send a MIDI CC# with the MUTE footswitch.
First turn the default MUTE control functionality to OFF.
Press EDIT, navigate to the CTL/EXP menu and press ENTER, navigate left/right to MUTE and press ENTER.
Change the default MUTE functionality to OFF.
Press EXIT and navigate in the CTL/EXP menu to ASSIGNMENT 1 and press ENTER, program the ASSIGN1 in the following manner:
ASSIGNMENT1 SW: ON
SOURCE: MUTE
MODE: MOMENTARY
CATE/CATEGORY: MIDI
CH: MIDI CHANNEL 1 ( or MD-500 MIDI CH)
CC: CC#80 to target the CC for the MD-500 CTL1 ON/OFF for control of the ROTARY SLOW/FAST.
WRITE/SAVE these settings to this specific PATCH by pressing the WRITE button three times to WRITE/SAVE the customized user settings.

Connect the ES-8 MIDI OUTPUT to MD-500 MIDI INPUT using a 5 pin MIDI cable.
For example: https://www.boss.info/global/products/bmidi-pb1/

Now should be able to use the MUTE footswitch to MIDI control the ROTARY SPEED for the MD-500 PATCH via MIDI CC#, the MD-500 display will show the change from SLOW/FAST.

Choose TRS cable or MIDI cable connection and programming for controlling the ROTARY SPEED of the MD-500, one or the other.”

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Fri May 07, 2021 10:43 am

Excellent! It's good to see that the Customer Service department at Roland/ Boss helped you with this question.
I've always had good assistance from them as well.
👍