Interest in a HM-2 "tribute"?

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Interest in a HM-2 "tribute"?

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:44 am

I've recently seen three HM-2 pedals go past on local for-sale boards for $300+

I've had a good look at the schematic and I'm sure I can build a functional equivalent. There are a couple of hard-to-find parts:
  • The "G" taper potentiometers for the color mix - I can create an equivalent using standard parts, so no issue with these.
  • The Ge diodes - I have some NOS ones in stock from years ago.
Everything else is standard and can be replaced by modern equivalents (e.g. the NPN and PNP silicone transistors).

I'd have to make 10 pedals for it to be cheap enough. Is anyone interested in a HM-2 "tribute" pedal? It would be a normal rectangular 1590B enclosure, with 3PDT true bypass.

If I had orders for all 10 the price would be USD$95.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Interest in a HM-2 "tribute"?

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:46 am

I have an HM-2 in beautiful shape, otherwise I would be in on it. ;)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 am

Like Pepe, I still have my OG HM-2 so don't really need another, tempting thought it is to pick up another of your pedals :) I am sure this would appeal to people who would like an HM-2 but are put off by the crazy prices though.

A while back you mentioned that you had some ideas for a new phaser. Did you ever take them any further?

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:48 pm

Fair enough about the HM-2. I sold my HM-2 years ago and can't stomach the thought of paying $300+ to get another one. If enough people had been of a like mind we could all get a clone. I might still design and build one for myself.

As for the phaser... yes, I've been toying with another one. The old DingoTone LGP is a good phaser, but the phasing oscillator is a simple triangle wave generator. I'd like to do a design with something more sophisticated, and less prone to noise. I'd probably also make it stereo, using some of the concepts pepe and I have been talking about in a private chat about doing some mods to his phasers.

But will it come to fruition? I don't know... Does the world need another phaser?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:52 pm

What about the HM-2W, laurie? Is it heavily expensive in Canada?

EDIT: Oh, yes. I see that it is 269.99 CAD at Long & McQuade. It's 179 € here in Germany which is pretty much the same.

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:52 pm
What about the HM-2W, laurie? Is it heavily expensive in Canada?

EDIT: Oh, yes. I see that it is 269.99 CAD at Long & McQuade. It's 179 € here in Germany which is pretty much the same.
Indeed. "Oh yes" it is expensive. Add the tax and the L&M cost is $283.50. Even more in other provinces with higher provincial sales tax.

So a vintage one or a Waza one about the same price. Or I can build myself a Laurie clone for about one third that (assuming my labour is "free" :)).

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm

Over at the ILoveFuzz forum is a thread about HM-2 clones that started five years before the HM-2W was introduced.
Please School Me on Boss HM-2 Clones

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 pm

laurie wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:48 pm
As for the phaser... yes, I've been toying with another one. The old DingoTone LGP is a good phaser, but the phasing oscillator is a simple triangle wave generator. I'd like to do a design with something more sophisticated, and less prone to noise. I'd probably also make it stereo, using some of the concepts pepe and I have been talking about in a private chat about doing some mods to his phasers.
Erm, I'm in!
laurie wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:48 pm
But will it come to fruition? I don't know... Does the world need another phaser?
The world needs good phasers. I have been through a few and there aren't many that I enjoy.

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:15 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm
Over at the ILoveFuzz forum is a thread about HM-2 clones that started five years before the HM-2W was introduced.
Please School Me on Boss HM-2 Clones
Ah well, it has all been done before. Nevermind the HM-2 then!

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 pm
The world needs good phasers. I have been through a few and there aren't many that I enjoy.
If I built something it would be based on the same phasing engine as the LGP. How does that pedal sound to you?