32 Pedals arrived! (Feedback post)

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
fuzzbuzzfuzz

32 Pedals arrived! (Feedback post)

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:28 am

So on Thursday I received a weighty parcel and this weekend I had an opportunity to try out the new 32 Pedals. First impressions, very nicely built, layout and controls very functional and useful. The size and heft of each unit inspires confidence from the off. :)

Being a fuzz nut I had to try the Tone Bender first. (Love the on/off switch btw). Well, certainly a lot of power in this one, creamy with "fluff", slightly higher gain that some with a soft gated edge. Cranking the gain and rolling off the guitar's volume control yields some pleasing lower gain early 60s fuzz tones that are my personal sweet spot. Overall I like it! Have yet to fiddle with the extra transistors or trim pots, straight out of the box it impressed, great job Laurie! (also love the authentic chicken head knobs!). (I'll pull out my BYOC and VPW too at some point to guage some more.)

Next up the 32 Germanium OD. Again this type of pedal is close to my heart, having always preferred the softer attack of a germanium element in a drive circuit rather than the sometimes harsh "clicky" nature of many drives. In the past I have had the EHX Germanium OD, which although quirky and more boost-like was good, and I currently have a Maxon OD-802 vintage unit, which uses germanium diodes to clip. Typically they are dynamic but a bit rougher or amp-like imo. Anyway once again, lovely sturdy bold yellow enclosure and plenty of knobs this time!  More to play with and to dial in. I lean towards a "just broken up tone", so I kept the gain at about a third, backed of the treble and backed off the bass to compensate for my Orange cabs inherent bass-iness. Pleasing crunch, some crackly/slight gate on the gain then then dials into the clean. Finely balancing the two gives a good blend, I hear a bit of Tube Screamer and a bit of amp fizzle sizzle mixed in. A pleasing unit, I think I'll need to play with a few amps at louder volumes to get a clear picture but overall very nice.

And both pedals stack well! :D

SO great job once again Laurie, lot of love and effort in these, well done!
Attachments
rsz_1img_3318.jpg
rsz_1img_3318.jpg (237.56 KiB) Viewed 5620 times

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Re: 32 Pedals arrived! (Feedback post)

Post by sclitheroe » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:55 pm

I'll post my impressions soon! They've been sitting on my desk at home waiting for a go, between work and family life events (graduations, start of military careers, etc), its been too busy to go downstairs and play them.

-Scott

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 am

I posted a few very quick demos after I unboxed and played them on the day of arrival. Nothing fancy just an idea. Recorded with an iPhone :D

https://soundcloud.com/marksparksmusic/ ... al-tryouts

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Thanks for the demos fuzzbuzzfuzz. Really good and they’ve got me fired up and waiting for mine to cross the pond to the UK.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:08 pm

Oh, the ³²OD sounds awesome! :o
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:03 pm

i was sold with just that 3.2 second soundclip
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Thanks chaps. Just some very quickies whilst I had a spare few minutes after unboxing. I was certainly impressed overall, Tone Benders are finickity beasts and very variable (plus very expensive!). It is slightly compressed, little silicon type bite, tons of gain. I had just sold a Telsonic TB and regretted it. I will pull out my VPW MkII which iirc has reissue OC81s in (or could be 75s). My BYOC has mostly OC75s.

I was also surprised the 32s were absolutely fine temp wise out of the box into the Japanese summer, its been up to 34 degrees so far. The VPW has a "fluffier" tone but suffered terribly at a gig once much to my embarrassment.

Now..haha...I'm thinking how about that even more elusive Mk1 Laurie? ;)

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:12 pm

Pepe wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:08 pm
Oh, the ³²OD sounds awesome! :o
Yes, I think you're right Pepe, I didn't give it much of a shake down actually since time was tight. I'm pretty sensitive to OD pedals in general, the harder clipping and over midrange of some can irritate, generally preferring that just broken up tone/amp drive. I think the 32 has enough EQ and mix options to get some great tones, and sits onto amp drive too.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:23 am

Some overseas packages should start arriving soon ;)

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:34 am

laurie wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:23 am
Some overseas packages should start arriving soon ;)
Mine will transition to the board tomorrow :) First it was work, then we were gone a week camping, now finally I'm home for a weekend :D