Luke Drifter

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by Luke Drifter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:37 am

Image[/img]

Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:42 am

I've seen these about but never known the inside was quite so wonderful! Wow indeed :o

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 am

Yesterday I received the KORG Octaver from former SBZ member nathanscribe. It's one of the best octavers that I have had. It goes all the way down to the low E of a bass guitar and the overall sound is great. One octave only, but it rocks! I used it at a live gig last night and through the bass amp it sounded massive.

Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:46 am

Pepe wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 am
Yesterday I received the KORG Octaver from former SBZ member nathanscribe.
Hello :D

Those Korgs are in really nice condition, Pepe! Most of the ones I see are battered to heck. Same with the Yamaha versions, actually, though I did receive an FL-01 this week that is almost perfect, except for the absence of the plastic cap for the pedalboard header. So far I've got the DI-01, FL-01, and OC-01.

How do the two distortions compare?

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Damn right, they look mint!
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Great to see you in a forum again, nathanscribe! 8-)

Those pedals are really in pretty good shape. The DST-1 and PHS-1 are in pristine condition - the DST-1 was NOS with the box and papers and the PHS-1 did also come with the box. Additionally I have a certain paint from the plastic model maker Revell that I can apply on the nicks to make the pedals look almost new. The paint really matches with the original colour. But I only did that with the TNB-1 which had lots of nicks when I received it.

Those are my DST demos. The DST-1 is the better DS-1 to my ears. With much less gain, though, but overall with a very natural sounding distortion with lots of dynamics. I think that the DST-3 shares a lot with the HM-3 which came out many years later. The tone control is similar to that of a Big Muff Pi.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:36 am

WOW indeed those are minty delicious Pepe! :o :D

Like you I'm an octaver-addict. Recently the price of the Korg and Yamaha units has shot up to extraordinary heights here in Japan - often equivalent to $150-$200 :o

Anyway, great collection!

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:42 pm

My KORG PME-40X quest is finally over! :D

I received a somewhat beat-up looking, but perfectly working KDD-501 Digital Delay, the last real effect that I haven't had from this series (I only didn't own the "External Selector" so far, but that's only a signal loop that I don't count as an effect).

It is a great sounding module, very much like the BOSS DD-2. It is built around a big NEC chip like the modulated delays inside the '80s KORG synthesizers DW-8000* and DS-8 (I have both and the delay fattens everything up). The controls are a 1:1 copy of the BOSS DD-2, but there's an added High Cut slider - a very cool fundtion that makes the delays sound more "natural" and it makes the original signal stand apart from the effect sound.

Now my effect module hunt is pretty much over. I would like to purchase a second KDW-301 Dist Wah (a very cool auto wah, which I call the "poor man's Mutron III") or a fourth KAD-301 Analog Delay. This series is awesome and I love to use it live on stage which I have done a lot throughout the last years.

*the DW-8000 was the world's first synthesizer with a built-in digital delay

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

Congrats on finishing your quest Pepe :D

Have you got a group shot of the whole set?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:34 am

Okay, here is a fresh picture of my whole collection:

The only family members missing on this photo:

KCO-101 Compressor*
KES-101 External Selector
KNG-101 Noise Gate*

*I had these modules a few years ago, but they went to the StompBoxZone member Vim Fuego who has a 100% complete collection.