Fromel Electronics Introduces the Seraph Deluxe Dimensional Chorus

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Pieces of the Night
SBZ: Gold

Fromel Electronics Introduces the Seraph Deluxe Dimensional Chorus

Post by Pieces of the Night » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:25 pm

https://www.fromelelectronics.com/produ ... aph-deluxe

The Seraph Deluxe is a true stereo in/out analog dimensional chorus modeled after the famous Roland SDD-320 Dimension D which was introduced in 1979 and used extensively by Brian Eno, Talking Heads, Kate Bush, U2, and others. In many ways the dimensional chorus defined the sound of the 80’s. The original unit took up two rack spaces and had 4 preset buttons. In 1985 Boss released the DC-2 a compact pedal dimensional chorus with the same 4 preset buttons, yet it lacked some of the features of the SDD-320 such as line level and stereo in. The original Fromel Seraph released in 2008 was based on the DC-2.

Over the last 10 years we have been working on this circuit exploring all the possibilities it can offer, while keeping the size pedal board friendly. The presets are slight variations with a very slow rate and very deep depth. In addition to the 4 classic modes the presets can be mixed and matched to make a total of 8 presets. There is also a manual mode that allows for precise setting of the rate and depth allowing for a very fast rate and shallow depth getting the effect into Leslie territory. What makes this chorus truly unique is the dual delay lines which allows for a Through Zero Flange effect when the dry signal is cut. Finally by cutting one of the delay lines and the dry signal a true pitch vibrato is produced.

All that in a 1590BB enclosure. (4.7" x 3.7" x .95")

The Seraph Deluxe uses modern delay chips for a bright and clear effect. There are also a limited number of pedals that have the original NOS Panasonic chipset. The NOS chips are slightly darker and warmer sounding than the new chips.

The unit can take line level like a champ with no clipping and can be used in a pro-audio recording or live setup as an insert, or with keyboards and other instruments with a line level out.

Note: Fromel Electronics has no affiliation with Roland or Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z0w7Oc45rE

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Fromel Electronics Introduces the Seraph Deluxe Dimensional Chorus

Post by Pepe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Interesting aesthetics.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Boogieman
SBZ: Bronze

Post by Boogieman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:36 am

I have the NOS chip version. It cops the four DC-2 settings very well. On top of that, it also has manual controls of rate and depth, as well as toggle switches for through zero flange and vibrato.

The feature that I really like on the Seraph Deluxe is stereo in/out. The DC-2 input is mono only. I can feed stereo delay signal into the Seraph Deluxe to get a lush post-delay sound.

Since I got it, my DC-2 has become home-use only. I really don't want to take it out to play anymore. It had been on my pedalboard for almost 20 years and was the only pedal that had never been replaced.

TBH, I don't care much about the graphics my Seraph Deluxe, as long as it sounds as close to the DC-2 as possible. After all, I don't spend too much time staring at pedals. However, Fromel has announced that they will release a batch of the Seraph Deluxe with acid-etched case in various colours. They look way more interesting to me, appearance-wise. If I hadn't got mine already, I surely would order the acid-etched ones.

@Gasgano, it may not be the Boss DC-2, but if you are looking for that DC-2 sound (with added features) that is way better built than the Behringer clone, this might be it.

That is, until Boss would finally release DC-2W. :D

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:46 am

Boogieman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:36 am
The feature that I really like on the Seraph Deluxe is stereo in/out. The DC-2 input is mono only. I can feed stereo delay signal into the Seraph Deluxe to get a lush post-delay sound.

Since I got it, my DC-2 has become home-use only. I really don't want to take it out to play anymore. It had been on my pedalboard for almost 20 years and was the only pedal that had never been replaced.
Interesting! Added to my wishlist! 8-)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram