New bass day - a Vantage 5-string

Everything guitar, bass, acoustic, banjo, etc
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

New bass day - a Vantage 5-string

Post by laurie » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:33 pm

Picked this up at the local thrift store for USD$75.

Needs the electronics fixing - the pots are all in terrible shape - plus a full setup. But in almost perfect cosmetic condition.

I've had a couple of expensive 5 string basses over the years and always ended up selling them - a Warwick and a Stingray. I ended up selling them because I play predominately 4 string (just a preference) and I couldn't leave that much money tied up in something I only rarely played. I've always wished I had a cheap 5 string for those times when you just need a low B. Now I have one :D

A quick play as I was finding about about the problems tells me it is going to be a perfectly playable instrument when I'm done with it.

I don't know the manufacture location (the sticker is missing) but from the quality of the finish I'm guessing not China.

Oh - and a complete surprise, it has active electronics.
Vantage 5 string.jpg
Vantage 5 string.jpg (298.38 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
Last edited by laurie on Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

laurie

Re: New bass day - a Vantage 5-string

Post by laurie » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:59 am

The model of the bass appears to be a 750B.

Pulled the active electronics board and cleaned the pots today. Everything seems to be in good shape. I don't know what the switches are for... phase invert for each pickup and what is the third one for? Anyone have any ideas?

I'll experiment with the switches once I get it all back together.
Active electronics1.jpg
Active electronics1.jpg (342.38 KiB) Viewed 2977 times

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:30 am

Looks cool! Maby the third switch is some extra bass increase or a notch filter?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum

Post by Dirk » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:59 pm

Nice, I read those were made by Samick. Can't really go wrong with that, they offer great value for the buck.

laurie

Post by laurie » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:25 pm

Dirk wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:59 pm
Nice, I read those were made by Samick. Can't really go wrong with that, they offer great value for the buck.
Yes - I think Vantage took over Samick production, or the other way around? Either way it is nicely made.

It cost 69 Euro according to the exchange rate calculator... CAD$100. Cheap.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:40 pm

I don't know how much strings cost in other parts of the world, but here in Canada a cheap set of bass strings for a 5-string are $35 + tax.

I've been ordering regular guitar strings from a supplier in Asia and they seem to play OK. They work out to about $4.50 a set.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/222569591799

So I ordered a set of bass strings. $20. If they work they will be half local price:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/222569602199

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:57 pm

I used to work in a music shop for 18 years. There's a reason why cheap bass strings are cheap. They sound dull after a few days and they can break very easily. It also happened when I bought a set from Martin. The only brands that I can recommend are D'Addario, Fender, Rotosound, Ernie Ball and Dean Markley. Plus all the others that are more expensive, like Thomastik, La Bella and DR. Nearly everything under 20 EUR (4 string!) was not recommendable.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:57 pm
I used to work in a music shop for 18 years. There's a reason why cheap bass strings are cheap. They sound dull after a few days and they can break very easily. It also happened when I bought a set from Martin. The only brands that I can recommend are D'Addario, Fender, Rotosound, Ernie Ball and Dean Markley. Plus all the others that are more expensive, like Thomastik, La Bella and DR. Nearly everything under 20 EUR (4 string!) was not recommendable.
Hmmm... OK.

I might buy a local set for $35 (they are D'Addario). Keep the Chinese ones as a backup.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:45 am

laurie wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 pm
Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:57 pm
Hmmm... OK.

I might buy a local set for $35 (they are D'Addario). Keep the Chinese ones as a backup.
Found these. Am out of town next week so will order some when I get back:
https://www.amazon.ca/DAddario-EXL165-5 ... r=8-5&th=1

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:07 am

I think that's a good choice!